2007/04/24

Save Our English Education

Last night I helped Mom to re-check the introductory leaflet for Wan Xing Elementary School. Well, I soon found out that I had to do something more than RE-check. There are so many Chinese-English sentences, and even more vocabulary misuse. For instance, I found the following sentence-

Campus Acreage: 12000 square kilometers

  1. Acreage: I'm not familiar with this word, but after quickly checking the dictionary, it is the square measure that use "ACRE" as the unit.....
  2. 12000 square kilometers is HUGE, and I strongly doubted its reality. Upon checking its Chinese description, it said "12000 square METERS".......
Mom was worried, not only because of I might not able to finish the task she required me to do, but also due to our English education in Taiwan. She didn't need to speak it out to me yet I easily felt her depression and sorrow.

      She had asked THREE ENGLISH TEACHERS
              to work on the CORRECTIONS
                        for SOME MONTHS.

I'm so sorry and worried about this, too. Our kids, facing the world that highly rely on English communication abilities, were TAUGHT by this kind of teachers. How could I feel comfortable?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just want to write something about "save our Chinese education in Malaysia" then I read this post... haha

Wendy Chen said...

OH.......It's the kind of issue that always needs paying attention to, you see?

To companies who possess, or are passionate about obtaining and maintaining global reputation, Wendy is the diligent and professional digital marketer who is experienced in digital marketing, is always energetic about solving challenges in the new media field to help the business grow, and can optimize her contributions by utilizing her multilingual and multicultural background.