2008/11/17

Chicago, LA or San Francisco?

As you all may notice, it's almost the time of my graduation. Exactly, time flies! What bothered me recently was the tough decision about staying here in the US or going back to Taiwan/Asia. After some dramatic struggles (well, allow me to skip the story for now.....), I made up my mind to fight till the last minute here. The following question, then, was- where should I stay?

Here came the options and the pros & cons. I am still struggling for the final decision. If you have any thoughts? Let me know! To clarify, one of the reason that made me so undecisive was due to the student visa policy regulation: if I do not get any offer from a company for a full-time or internship position, I have to leave the country after 3 months stay after my OPT status started.

Option I: Chicago
  • Reason of stay: Least hassle of moving, 3rd biggest city in the US, most familiar city, center location = not too far away from the E or W
  • Connections: Most
  • Living cost: Rent ($600-$800/mth), Living ($300/mth)
  • Housing: month-by-month sublease or rental (contract hassle)
  • Transportation: public system is fine
Option II: Los Angeles
  • Reason of stay: Most Chinese corporation/opportunities, milder weather, comparatively more connections outside of Chicago
  • Connections: Many (Friends' families, college friends, friends' friends, alums)
  • Living cost: Rent ($800+/mth), Living ($300/mth), Car ($4,000-$5,000)
  • Housing: month-by-month sublease or rental (contract hassle) OR lucky enough- friend's place (without contract hassle)
  • Transportation: public system is poor, must have a car
Option III: San Francisco
  • Reason of stay: High-tech/online marketing industry hub (most desired), milder weather
  • Connections: Least (Yana, Tina C.)
  • Living cost: Rent ($1,200-$1,500/mth), Living (>$300/mth), Car ($4,000-$5,000)
  • Housing: month-by-month sublease or rental (contract hassle)
  • Transportation: public system is poor, must have a car
See, it's not an easy decision to make! Stay or Go? Go? Where?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

好不容易才在这里开始了梦想
没有任何不继续实现它的理由
我支持你
GREAT GREAT LUCK!

To companies who possess, or are passionate about obtaining and maintaining global reputation, Wendy is the diligent and professional digital marketer who is experienced in digital marketing, is always energetic about solving challenges in the new media field to help the business grow, and can optimize her contributions by utilizing her multilingual and multicultural background.